3.19.2012

dreaming God-sized dreams...


Why does God’s faithfulness surprise me? He says He is going to be faithful, and I know He is a God that does not lie. He has always been faithful, and I know that He is a God that does not change. Even when I am unfaithful, He remains faithful to His promises, to His Word.

Yet I sit tonight, in amazement at His perfect faithfulness. In the way that He orders steps, and clears paths, and makes the high places low so that we can walk confidently in what He has called us to do.

I pray that I never lose this sense of awe. The wonder of His goodness.

About a year ago, God birthed a dream in my heart for a women’s conference… and He quickly showed me that He had birthed that same dream in other’s hearts.  What started as an excited conversation full of God-sized visions in a little bookstore with a beautiful friend (and mighty woman of God)… is now the Lightbearers Women’sConference. It is around the corner, just twenty five days away (but who’s counting?)… this dream… this thing that seemed too big for someone like me

It’s really going to happen. And that still blows my mind.

It shouldn’t. God says over and over again in His word “I will make a way” and He has revealed that to me more and more lately as I have studied scripture.  In Isaiah 42:16 He says “I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them”.

We entered this thing that has become Lightbearers blind.   I certainly hadn’t done anything quite like this before! I can barely organize a small gathering of friends at my house [as my friends, they will tell you this is absolutely true, and rarely happens as a result]… much less hundreds of women together in one building, arranging travel plans and plane tickets for a speaker, making sure there is a means to have sound and lights and video at the venue, school board meetings for approval to use their facilities… it was all so daunting.

But God called, and I am so, so, so thankful that we answered! That He has brought together one of the most precious group of women I could imagine to organize and plan and see to details. To ask for door prizes. To mail tickets. To talk to their churches. To hand out registrations. To contact speakers. To write letters. To make decisions. To brainstorm. To deliver letters. To pray… and pray… and pray…

And before us, the unfamiliar path opened up. The rough places (like how in the world do you organize hundreds of women into break-out sessions and a lunch rotation so they all get the sessions of their choice…? Really God!? It seems impossible!)… became smooth (it really just fell into place in a way only GOD could orchestrate!). The darkness turned to light, before our very eyes! He guided us, blind as we were, into His will.

God made a way.

Isaiah 45:1 promises us that He is a God who opens doors before men so that gates will not be shut.

God opened doors.

Proverbs 3:6 says if we trust Him, He will make our paths straight.

God straightened the path.

Isaiah 43:20 tells us that He will provide water in the desert and streams in the wasteland.

God provided for every need.  

2 Corinthians 12:9 tells us that His strength is more evident in our weakness.

God made a way. Where we could not, He did.

We could not, in our own strength or wisdom or power or understanding have caused things to come together as neatly as our infinite Father has done… We were blind.  I don’t say this to brag on anything we have done… I say this to brag on God! And to encourage you!

What is your God-sized dream? The thing that He has called you to do. The thing that seems too big for someone like you. Or too impossible, even for a BIG God. Or too hard. Or too farfetched. Or too scary…

He WILL make a way.

I wish I had room to tell you all of the little details He has worked out. [I guess you’ll just have to come to the conference to experience them… ;)] And while I know the weekend itself is going to be so, so, so good… because He is so, so, so faithful… If He didn’t do another thing for Lightbearers I would still be overwhelmed.

He will open doors that no man can open, and shut doors that no man can shut. He will make a way.

When you look at the thing He’s called you to, do not fear the obstacles that appear on the pathway… because He is able to make the rough places smooth. He will make a way.  

When He gives you instructions that don’t seem to make sense, like offering a free conference that you will take up an offering for and then give all that money away too- when there are people that will need to be paid and food that will need to be bought- He will provide.  

HE WILL MAKE A WAY.

I recently shared some other God-sized dreams with someone I love a lot. I was sharing my heart, my this-doesn’t-make-any-sense-but-God-keeps-confirming-them-dreams, my fears…

Her response was straightforward (one of the reasons I love her so much)…

If your dreams don’t scare you, then they aren’t big enough.

And she is right.

That doesn’t make them any less scary… it just means you are trusting God more as you step into them.  

I haven’t taken that next step… yet… but rest assured that as I do, I am remembering the way He has provided for Lightbearers.  The way He has opened doors. And shut others. The way He has provided. The way He has made the rough places smooth.  

I am remembering that He is a God who does not change, and that He will do the same for the next chapter of my life. I am remembering that he is a God who is faithful, and that He will continue to be so.

I am praying that you remember this as well. That you dream the kind of dreams only God can fulfill, and then trust Him to bring them to light. He will make a way, friend. Whether that dream is seeing your husband walking with Jesus. Or holding a Bible Study in your home. Or building a vocational center and home in Ghana. Or hosting a women’s conference.  Or ministering to the lost. Or starting a new program in your church. Or feeding the hungry. Or revealing Christ to your children. Dream the dream, and then trust the God that planted that dream in your heart. He will make a way.

And when He does, you will sit in amazement… in wonder… at His faithfulness.  You will point to Him and with a shout of victory proclaim “ONLY GOD!!!”

I am sooooo looking forward to April 13th! [I may even be counting the days]... Because when you step out in faith, doing something only HE can accomplish, there is no glory left over for yourself. It all goes to Him! I know the women who have helped with this would agree, only God could have accomplished what He has accomplished in the last few months. We were blind, and He led us along an unfamiliar path. We saw obstacles, and He made the rough places smooth.  We didn’t know the way, and He turned the darkness into light.

He is a faithful God who will finish that which He has set forth to accomplish. He has good plans for the Lightbearers Women’s Conference… He has plans for changed hearts, for changed homes, for changed communities, and for a changed world.  And as we watch those plans unfold, we will together, with united hearts proclaim in victory “ONLY GOD!!!”…

And I can’t wait!!!!!

He wants to do that in your life too. I’d love to hear about your God-sized dreams. I’d love to know what vision He has planted in your heart, to join you in prayer and to rejoice with you as we proclaim in victory “ONLY GOD!!!”   If you’d like leave a comment… or drop me a private message. It would be an honor to join you in dreaming big!



Oh, and if you haven’t registered for the Lightbearers Women’sConference (or told your wife, or mom, or daughter, or friend about it…) what are you waiting for? It’s still free. There are a few childcare slots still available (also free). There are awesome door prizes to be given away. Lunch is provided (also free). Amazing speakers, heartfelt teachers, a powerful worship leader… Seriously, you don’t want to miss it! Soooo, why don’t you just click here and register right now. And I’ll see you at the conference!


No comments: